First Aid WorldWide Manual


Electric shock injuries

Low voltage current can cause injuries most often in the household, due to faulty appliances and electrical installations. If the switch or plug is caught with wet hands, there is a high risk of electric shock. It is the most common point of entry of electricity, and the most common exit point is the foot. If the exit point is the other hand, then the path of electricity through the body is between the hands, ie horizontally and passes through the heart, so such an electric shock is much more dangerous. Burns occur at the point of entry and exit of electricity, electric shock causes strong muscle spasms, respiratory and cardiac arrest, and loss of consciousness.

First Aid

> before touching the victim, be sure to disconnect it from the circuit (remove the plug from the socket, unscrew the fuse on the main line, electricity meter). He stands on a dry, insulating object and removes the cables (or electrical device) from the victim as soon as possible with the help of a dry non-conductor: a wooden ruler or rubber gloves. It is good to use boots and thick rubber gloves, or wrap your hands in dry textiles, and do it abundantly. The rescuer in these situations must always stand on a dry surface

> to separate the victim from the electric circuit with a stick or by grabbing checked dry clothes, exclusively with one hand, without touching his body. The victim should be touched and his condition assessed only after disconnection from the mains,

> the electricity can be turned off on the main water or electricity meter, but it should be borne in mind that darkness can occur, which will cause additional problems in providing first aid

> if unconscious, open upper respiratory tract and check breathing and heart rate. If there is no pulse, resuscitate as soon as possible; put sterile gauze and bandages on the burns, and in case of bone fractures, perform immobilization;

> if unconscious, breathe in a relaxed position and call an ambulance.